Thursday, October 5, 2017

Thoughts on Las Vegas Shooting

If I'm being completely honest I've been putting off sitting down at my laptop. I've had a hard enough time dealing with the shooting with the barrage of messages on my phone and the constant news on tv. To blog about it just seems strange. With all going on though I that feel that I need to say something. None of this will be eloquent, instead it will be honest and from the heart along with some information on how to help.



Let me say this. I have gone to Life is Beautiful for the past few years like clockwork. Outdoor music festivals are the thing to enjoy here in Vegas especially when it is fall. The weather is a bit cooler and everyone comes together to enjoy the performances. In fact Life is Beautiful and I Heart Radio were just a few weeks ago. They are outdoor music festivals that have never had an issue. Now a shooting happened at the Route 91 Harvest Festival.

It was strange to go to bed seeing posts on Facebook of friends saying there was a shooting down on the strip at the festival. To see that people had siblings and friends there that they were desperately trying to get in contact with was unnerving. Thankfully I was safe at home. However I knew plenty of people who were there at the festival. I tried to check in on people but ended up falling asleep. A twelve hour shift will do that to you even when something major is going on.

When I woke up in the morning my phone was flooded with messages. Friends and family were checking in to make sure that I was safe. They know that I usually go to these music festivals but this is one I ended up not going to. I guess it was a blessing in disguise. My own brother always goes to this festival but ended up being called into work so he couldn't go. I spent a good hour on my phone that morning checking in on friends who I knew were at the festival while also trying to help others find who they were looking for. Thankfully all of my friends and family who were at the festival are safe and accounted for.

We all know the story at this point as more news has been released. There was a shooter who set himself up in the Mandalay Bay and shot down at the audience near the end of the night. The shooter killed 58 people and injured more than 500. Metro Police responded in a swift and timely manner to stop the violence. There was chaos as people tried to flee and help others. This event has now been declared the worst mass shooting in recent U.S. history. 

I know that more information is being released as time goes on but I refuse to name the shooter and give him any sort of attention. He doesn't deserve it. I have seen fake stories going around online and heard people say that they think the whole event was faked. I can't fathom the idiocy of others at this time because there is work to be done.

The sad but true saying is that the worst events bring out the best in people. We've seen and read the stories of strangers saving each other's lives at the festival. The response of the Metro Police to get people to safety. The selfless drivers rushing strangers to the hospitals. The doctors and nurses along with other medical professionals coming to the aid of those in need. The outpouring of the Las Vegas community has been amazing to witness. The blood donations, the food donations, the monetary donations, and everything else just shows that we are #VegasStrong. 

They always say that you never know when something will happen. I've traveled around the world knowing that at some point something bad could happen that was out of my control but it was always just a little thought in the back of my mind. Now to have this shooting happen in my home town at a place I frequent with friends and family when they visit is terrifying. I was down at Fremont the night before with friends to celebrate after a wedding. I can't put into words how surreal it is to know that this has happened in my own back yard because it shouldn't. Don't watch too much of the news and let this bring you down. I want you all to know that life is precious so please hold those dear to you close and surround yourself with positive people. We will get through this.

I don't even want to debate anything but I just want to say thank you to everyone. To the heroes who sacrificed their own lives to protect others. The heroes who rushed to the aid of those in need. The heroes who are giving blood. The heroes who are giving their time. The heroes who are giving their talents to those in need. The heroes who are donating money to help with medical expenses. Just all the heroes in general who are helping in this time of need. You will not be forgotten. People will always remember your kindness.

I also want to say that I am sorry for those who have lost friends and loved ones because of this shooting. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. I can't imagine what you are going through but I want you to know that all of us in Las Vegas have your back. We love and care about you. Please don't be afraid to reach out for help. Optum is offering free emotional support to anyone, just call: 866-342-6892.

If you're wondering how to help here's some links:

GoFundMe For the Shooting Victimshttps://www.gofundme.com/dr2ks2-las-vegas-victims-fund

Donate Blood with United Blood Serviceshttp://www.unitedbloodservices.org/

Donate Food, Water, Canned Goods, & Non-Perishable Items To: Three Square - https://www.threesquare.org/ or Catholic Charities https://www.catholiccharities.com/

If You Are Missing a Loved One Call: 1-800-536-9488


No comments :

Post a Comment