Monday, October 10, 2016

Travel Tuesday - NYC Govenor's Island

As some of you know I was able to fly out to NYC and visit an online friend for an entire week. I used Airbnb to score a place to stay, which I may post about later, and got a steal on my flight there. Hounding airline sites is always worth it, so long as you're incognito about it. Anyways today's post is going to be about Governor's Island, which I'd never heard of! Thankfully my friend Mariah suggested we visit it and rent bikes, so that's just what we did!

To get over to Governor's Island you need to take the ferry! Mariah and I met at the ferry and sadly we found out after we arrived that if we had arrived 30 minutes earlier we would have been able to go over for free! So basically look up times and see if you can get over there for free. Then again the ticket for the ferry over there wasn't that expensive at $2 but still, that $2 could go to some awesome food truck goodies!

The ferry ride over wasn't too long and we got a bit worried because there were some storm clouds and it started to sprinkle rain. We saw that over the island there weren't too many clouds so we prayed the clouds would go away quickly so we could enjoy our bike ride! Thankfully they did and once on Governor's Island we walked over to the right and found a huge area where people were renting bikes. There were double bikes and single bikes with baskets and even those quad bikes. I'm not sure what exactly they're called but they look interesting. Mariah and I just went with single bikes and you chose how long you wanted to rent them for.

On the inner part of the island there were a bunch of food trucks and some were even fancy enough to have reserved spots to sit in grassy areas. One even was authorized to serve Starbucks so that's pretty legit in my opinion. With so many options it was hard to choose but I settled on a gyro and Mariah got some tacos. It was all delicious.

I didn't know this but from Governor's Island you can see the Statue of Liberty! That's right, I have some sweet shots that I took on my iPhone of it. Sure it's in the distance but still quite obvious. Riding around on the island doesn't take very long but honestly it was such a relaxing thing to do. I am certain Mariah and I did quite a few laps around and went through the middle to try and find new little areas. Although the island isn't that big the weather was bright and sunny even after that rain scare. It was an excellent form of exercise as well!

There was also a great view of NYC with all the skyscrapers and other buildings too with the ocean front and center. Here are some of my favorites pictures I took.









Pro Tips:
  • Go Saturday or Sunday and catch the ferry before 11:30am to get a free ride!
  • If you're a single rider find a CitiBike stop because it's cheaper!
  • Keep track of the time so you return your bike on time!
  • Go further inside the island to find all the food truck spots!
  • Have some extra cash so you can try a little bit of everything from the different food trucks!
  • Bring friends to enjoy the bike ride with! It makes the time fly!
  • Have a water bottle handy! There are spots around the island to refill it for free!

Have any of you ever visited Governor's Island before? What were some things you enjoyed while there? If you haven't been to Governor's Island are you now interested? Why? Let me know in the comments below!

4 comments :

  1. I've been to NYC but I've never been here. It sounds like it would be a ton of fun. thanks so much for sharing. You got some awesome photos. I LOVE food trucks, so it would be great to see what they offered.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely add it to your list! I would have never known about it without my friend. Thanks so much! :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tips! This is definitely on my list of places to visit the next time I'm there x

    Tamz | http://www.throughneweyesx.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to visit if you get the chance! (:

      Delete