Sunday, April 17, 2016

Coffee Meets Bagel Intro

Now we all know of Tinder and how it works so let's talk a bit about Coffee Meets Bagel. Think of it as Tinder but more, intense? No, that probably isn't the right word. It's more about a deeper connection I suppose than just seeing the face of hundreds of random people and swiping right or left depending on whether or not you find them attractive. You set your specifics of what you're looking for in regards to age, height, ethnicity, religion, and distance from where you live. Then you get one possible match every 24 hours. That's right, only one guy shows up every 24 hours. Let's break it down as to why this is.

The app requires you to connect it to your facebook, in order to help prove that you're a real person and prove your education along with employment. Of course it never posts anything there so that's nice. I know my mom would probably freak if she knew I was just using all these different dating apps because I just need to find a nice guy at church. At least that's her belief. Anyways, like any dating app you get to add multiple pictures and the app even has a tips for what kind of pictures you should post. You know, show pictures of what you enjoy doing and don't use blurry photos, selfies, or group photos.

There are only three possible areas for you to write in to describe yourself. The fill in the blanks are "I am..." "I like..." and "I appreciate when my date..." and each has three little spaces for you to fill out. There are some people who go all out and list a whole lot more so that it looks like they've written paragraphs but there are also those that don't write much of anything so all it says is N/A. For myself I just listed a few simple things about traveling the world, running for fun, and loving music. Nothing too overwhelming but certainly enough for someone to be able to ask questions about. Let me tell you I love when a conversation starts off with the guy asking where I've traveled. That tells me he at least read about me and paid attention.

With only getting one guy every 24 hours that means that at 12pm every day I get to check whether or not I have a potential match with someone. You can either like or pass someone and you have plenty of time to decide and make your choice. If you happen to connect with someone then you get a new chat window. In the chat window there is always a little bubble saying something about the person you matched with. For example, mine likely says: "She loves to travel" Ask her about it! Then if no one says anything for a day the app sends another message about how starting the conversation helps to ensure you getting higher quality Bagels in the future. Then after another few days if nothing is said there is another reminder about the app prioritizing the best Bagels for the best responders. The whole chat line is open for a week. Usually at the end of the chat period week you are asked if you want to extend the chat and if you both say yes or maybe then the chat line lasts for a little bit longer. After that you get another week but then the chat line will completely close. That means you have to make sure to share your number so you can text or you'll just lose contact completely.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having something that is a bit more personal with more information about a person as compared to the other dating apps like Tinder or Bumble but I feel that it's also used to help make sure they can have plenty of possible matches for each person who joins for quite a few weeks. I mean, if there's 100 guys on the app in my area that means I can only have one guy a day for the next 100 days. That's going to keep me checking back on the app. Now there is the Discover section of the app where you can "give" or "take" some of the guys who appear. The general idea of it is you seeing other people who you might be interested in or someone who you think might be a good match for a friend. So you can "take" someone if you pay the price of so many beans. Oh, they have a bean system in place to act as money in the app. You get beans for passing or liking every day so it's easy to earn them. You can also buy more beans with actual money. Sometimes people appear in the Discover section who like you but they might not fit the criteria that you have listed in the app. I've had a few guys show up where it says they like me but they were shorter guys didn't seem to have much on the ball so I passed on them. Then you can "give" someone to a friend and I figure the purpose of that is to help get more people on the app.

We'll see what all happens with the app and I'll keep you all posted.

No comments :

Post a Comment